Lemon Meringue Pie is full of lemon flavor that you will make your mouth sing with pure pleasure, a recipe from Seduction in the Kitchen.
Life is weird. One moment your here the next your gone. You can do everything right, exercise, take supplements like greens. Do everything they say for a healthy lifestyle, but still get called to up above.
Why all this talk? On Sunday the 29th, my cell was blowing up. Several co-workers and friends were asking the “is it true question?” A good friend and co-worker of mine passed away unexpectedly. We worked with him on Friday, he was fine. Saturday morning he was gone.
This guy was the kindest, gentlest man you ever met. He had an energy about him. He was the calm in a storm, you could talk to him about anything and he listens and had a gift to guide you. His death was a huge shock to all of us.
The why question keeps being asked. As I said, he was a healthy man. He worked out, took greens every day, even did a teaspoon of Bragg’s cider vinegar daily. He would have been the last person you expect to die of heart attack.
The reason I decided to do this recipe as my dedication to him, I need to tell the story behind a lemon meringue pie. When I was coming to terms of my that I was going through my divorce. I got into a baking mode. Baking in a way was therapy for me, it is one the ways that helped me find myself again.
Anyway, I made this lemon meringue pie, I dropped off at the family health center most of my friends worked at. I was still a float then and went off to the health center I was to be at. The next day I was scheduled to be at the health center that I dropped the pie off at. I asked how did they like the pie. Well, I was then told what happened to the pie. My friend, the one who just passed away, was working there. When it was time for lunch they told him there was pie in the back room if he wanted some. He went back to it, they said next thing they heard was these mmmm sounds. In fact, one of them said it sounded like he was making love to that pie. He ended up eating most that pie, he loved it so much. When I saw him, I said I heard you loved my lemon pie. He told me it was best lemon pie he ever had. He really loved it. I found out lemon pie was his favorite dessert in the whole world.
From time to time since then, he asked if I made another lemon pie. Truthfully, no I have not made a lemon pie since then. I would tell him, oh I think I make one this weekend, or next time we work together I will make one. I never did.
I went through my recipe cards and knew I had to make one for him. It is the perfect tribute to my co-worker.
This pie is full of lemon flavor that you will make your mouth sing with pure pleasure, a recipe from Seduction in the Kitchen.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch., the stir in water until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks. Return the egg yolk mixture to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes/
- Add lemon juice and butter; stir until butter is melted and mixture is blended. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Take off the heat and pour the hot filling into pastry shell.
- Set the pie in the fridge while you make the meringue.
- In a saucepan, combine cornstarch, vanilla, and water until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture is thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites, until foamy.
- Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on medium speed until soft peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Gradually beat in cornstarch mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- Take the pie out the fridge and spread evenly over the filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 325° for 18-20 minutes or until meringue is golden.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour, then place the pie in the Refrigerator for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Slice it up and ENJOY!
Is this something you would love to whip up in your kitchen? Share it and inspire others with this recipe!