I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.
[intro]Barbari Bread is a Persian bread that is easy to make. This Iranian bread is wonderful to eat with a big bowl of soup! If you are new to bread making then barbari bread is perfect for you.[/intro]
Beginner bread recipe
Making homemade bread can be intimidating. Why? Because a typical bread recipe has many steps, with kneading the dough to rising and punching down the bread dough. Is there an easy beginner bread recipe out there?
I had mentioned to this Persian man, that I wish I could make bread. He suggested I look into an Iranian bread recipe because they were much more simpler to make. As I researched, I found one iranian bread that stood out: barbari bread.
Easy homemade bread
I have always used my bread maker dough cycle for making yeast bread. One it so much quicker and it poofs dough nicely. This time I wanted to make an easy homemade bread without my bread maker. This Persian bread really is a great easy homemade bread. I did not have to use the breadmaker for it!
When this Persian bread was done baking, I discovered it is wonderful spongy bread. Barbari bread soaks up the broth in soup no nicely. This Iranian bread is great to serve with soup because of that! Simply put, I love this barbari bread recipe and I think you will too.
- 3 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- poppy seeds or sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup water
- Dissolve the yeast with the sugar in 1/2 c water, let sit a few minutes to proof (foam).
- Mix bread flour, baking powder and salt together. Make a well in the flour, and slowly incorporate the yeast mixture, and then the remaining 1 cup of water.
- Knead 15 minutes on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic.
- Divide dough into 2 round pieces.
- Sprinkle a large baking sheet with cornmeal, transfer the dough to it. Lightly cover and place in a warm place until doubled in bulk (1.5 hours).
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, water, and baking soda together. Bring to a boil, let cool. This is a glaze and brush lightly over the dough.
- Dip your fingers into the remaining glaze, and punch the dough down with the edges of your hands to form several long parallel ridges along the dough.
- Brush the dough with the glaze again, sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Carefully stretch the dough lengthwise until it is about 1/4-1/2" thick.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until golden. Take out the oven, let it cool and ENJOY!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Vremi 3 Piece Baking Sheets Nonstick Set - Professional Non Stick Sheet Pan Set for Baking - Carbon Steel Baking Pans Cookie Sheets with Red Silicone Handles - has Quarter and Half Sheet Pans
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls by Finedine (Set of 6) Polished Mirror Finish Nesting Bowl, ¾ - 1.5-3 - 4-5 - 8 Quart - Cooking Supplies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125