I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.
Irish Potato Leek Soup is a creamy soup with potato and leeks. This Irish recipe has a wonderful taste because of the dill seasoning. You will love to add this Irish potato soup to your St Patrick’s Day recipes!
St Patrick’s Day Recipes
I am German, Irish, and Polish. However, I have more Irish in me than anything. I mean I have auburn hair and green eyes, with fair skin. Yes, I scream “I AM IRISH.” So yes I love St Patrick’s Day recipes.
With the way these months and days seem to be flying by, St Patrick’s Day will be here soon. Everyone will be making St Patrick’s Day recipes. After all, everyone is Irish on March 17th.
Irish Potato Soup
I first tried an Irish potato soup at work. We used to have this small coffee shop next to the lab that would serve up a soup of the day. One day it was this Irish potato and leeks soup.
There was something about that Irish recipe that everyone at my work loved. Anytime we saw Irish potato soup as the soup of the day, everyone got it and they would sell out of it quickly.
What made the coffee shop’s Irish potato and leeks soup so amazing was that it had dill in it. That dill seasoning was amazing and made that Irish recipe really stand out. So guess who decided she needed to recreate the creamy potato leek soup? You guess right, me.
Potato and Leeks
I wanted to recreate the Irish potato soup to embrace my Irish heritage. You have to be proud of where you came from. I am proud to be Irish as you can see.
Plus, potato and leeks are Irish Recipes. Plus I wanted to do something different for St Patricks Day recipe other than colcannon potatoes. Potato and leeks go so well together, especially in potato soup!
No matter what your background is, everyone should celebrate and be proud of their heritage. It is our different backgrounds and heritage that make us who we are. So enjoy a little of my heritage with this Irish potato soup.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups leeks chopped
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium potatoes coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon chopped
- In a large pan, melt the butter and add the leeks, celery, onion and garlic.
- Saute over medium heat, until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the chicken stock potatoes, pepper, and basil; bring to a boil.
- Simmer over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Add the milk and herbs, return to a light simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the soup from the heat and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Then serve it up and ENJOY!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 293mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 10g