I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.
These apple dumplings are simple to make. What makes this apple dessert so simple is pie crust and apple pie filling! Want an even better dessert, try these apple blossoms with some vanilla ice cream!
Apple dessert recipe
Apple desserts are the first thing to come to mind. What kind of apple dessert recipe can I make? I knew I wanted an apple recipe with flaky pastry dough.
I wanted to make apple dumplings. But I wanted to make this apple dessert different from traditional apple dumplings. I wanted to do more of an apple pie filling, with chopped apples instead of a whole apple like you see for traditional apple dumplings.
Apple blossoms dessert
These apple dumplings can be classified as a simple apple blossoms dessert. Why? Because you could make this with store-bought pie crust and apple pie filling if you are on a tight budget! Plus by using an apple pie filling, they look like an apple blossoms dessert!
These apple dumplings are simple to make. What makes this apple dessert so simple is pie crust and apple pie filling!
- 2 1/2 cups Bob's Organic Unbleached White All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 7-8 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Bob's Organic Unbleached White All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Freshly ground nutmeg, to taste
- 5 Envy apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Cut shortening, flour, and salt together with a fork or pastry knife until it is crumbly.
- Add 7-8 tablespoons of ice-cold water to the center of the flour mix.
- Slowly mix with a fork until dough is incorporated.
Apple Pie Filling
- Mix together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- In another bowl, sprinkle apples with the juice and zest of 1 lemon and toss.
- Stir in the sugar mixture to evenly coat the apples.
- Dump dough onto a floured countertop and knead 2-3 times to smooth slightly. Do not over knead.
- Rub your rolling pin with flour and roll dough to about 1/4 inch in thickness.
- Take a large flower shaped cookie cutter and start cut flower shapes out of your dough.
- Take a small knife and make slices to the base of the petals.
- Place about two tablespoons of apple filling in the center of the dough flowers.
- Brush dough with beaten egg and start folding petals up around the filling.
- Once the blossom is folded, brush the outside of the blossom with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Place the apple dumpling blossoms on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until golden brown crust appears.
- Take them out, let cool slightly and ENJOY!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 393Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 232mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 3gSugar: 23gProtein: 4g