#SundaySupper Strawberry Shortcake Whipped Cream Cupcakes
Happy Mother’s Day! I got a sort of funny story, I decided to launch a YouTube Channel. I had plans of making this the first recipe on the channel. I wanted to put it in this post the actual making of these cupcakes. I admit I am still learning this little camera thingy to do the filming with. Well, I got 2 hours of footage, now it’s time to edit it, yeah…. hmmm, did you know you should open a shutter thing on a portable webcam? I did not do that, I got 2 hours of audio, and pitch black, and sometimes a finger because I was adjusting the lens. I guess I better read the manual again.
I had this cute little intro, talking about how this recipe blog will be turning 1 year in 2 weeks and how this is a Sunday Supper post and it all about Mother’s day and how my mom inspired the recipe, so instead of seeing it in the video that is all black, how about I just type it out for you. It just one of those laugh out loud moments in life
Anyway, yes On May 18th, Seduction in the Kitchen will be one-year-old. Wow! I can’t believe it going to be a year. Truthfully, I started food blogging because I was bored. I was in a cast, I could not leave my apartment, that I was confined to. I had friends helping me and cooking is my stress relief, so I decided to start food blogging to fill the time for the 2 months I was in the cast.
Now it a huge passion of mine. So when I figure out this gizmo to film, I want to take this blog to next level with video tutorials. S,o hopefully soon I will have 15-20 minute recipe videos on the YouTube Channel. You will however have to bear with me on it. I will be chatty Cathy, I will make mistakes, I am still learning it as I go, just like I am with food photos! I hope they will be fun and you get to see my personality.
Seduction in the Kitchen recipe blog would not be possible without the support of its fans. One of my fans is my mom. My mother actually inspired this recipe. My mom can not smell or taste anything from a brain tumor she has. It is not cancerous, but she did lose these senses from it. It been 15 years and trust me it is interesting sometimes. You ask her if something tastes ok, she look at you and say, “texture seems right.” it is all about texture rather than taste with her.
When I first moved to Cleveland, 9 years ago, I was huge into making cakes, I watched one too many of those cake shows, and I decided I wanted to do that. Anyway, my mom asked me to make her this strawberry whipped cream cake she used to get with her father at a bakery in Pittsburgh, I think it was in Squirrel Hill and was called Waldorf’s Bakery. The problem was this place went out business in the 80’s. From everything I could find on this place, there is no recipe for this creation, the only thing could find was people missed the bakery. My dad never had this cake so he could not tell me what tasted like. So they only one who knows what tastes like is my mom who lost her sense of taste and smell, sure this should be interesting.
So I listened to description she told me of what she could remember about this cake. I tried my best, asked her how it was, I got “texture seems right.” We will never know if I cracked the recipe.
Flash forward to this Easter, I was at my parent’s home in Pittsburgh, and I decided to make cupcakes for Easter. I decided on Strawberry ones, I asked my mom what did she think if I did a strawberry cupcake. She suggested instead putting strawberries into the batter, I should put them on top, that is what they did at this Waldorf’s bakery for the cake she treasured as a kid. She said put chunks of strawberry into the whipped cream because again that goes back to the strawberry whipped cream cake she loves.
So I did as she said, and my family truly loved them, they are so moist, that they melted in your mouth. I asked my mom, did I finally crack this childhood recipe? “Texture seems right.”
So are you ready for the other great Sunday Supper recipes and mother stories? Well here they are:
#SundaySupper recipe post! A Moist cupcake that is a take on a whipped cream cake and strawberry shortcake. A recipe from Seduction in the Kitchen
- 1 box of French Vanilla Cake mix
- 1 6 oz carton of strawberry Yogurt
- 1 small box of vanilla pudding
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup of shortening
- 1 stick of butter soften
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 strawberries chopped
- 6-8 strawberries sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- First, you want put the table spoon of sugar over the strawberry slices and set them aside to juice up.
- Next, in a bowl, add the French vanilla cake mix, with 2 eggs, pudding mix, yogurt, vegetable oil, heavy cream and water. Mix it till well blended.
- Preheat your oven to 350F and fill cupcake liner 3/4 way full with batter. Bake the cupcakes for 15 minutes. When a tooth pick comes out clean, then they are done.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the whipped cream frosting. In a small bowl, beat the egg white till it doubles in size and all nice and foamy. Set it aside.
- Then in another bowl, cream the shortening and butter together. You may have to scrape the bowl down some as you do this.
- Then add the chopped strawberries, sugar and vanilla to the butter mixture. With a mixture blend it all together.
- Once blended together add the 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and the egg white, fold it all together by hand. Once it is all incorporated, spoon the frosting into a ziplock or a pastry bag.
- When the cupcakes are done in the oven, let cool. Once they are cooled, arrange 3-4 strawberry slices on the top of each cupcake.
- Then, pipe on the frosting onto each one, covering the strawberries.
- Then finally ENJOY!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 558kcal Calories from fat 321|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 36g||55%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||60%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
- Bacon,Egg and Cheddar Scones from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Chai Berry Muffins from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Almond Prune Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Greek Breakfast Strata from Curious Cuisiniere
- Maple Almond Butter from girlichef
- Orange Julius from Neighborfood
- Rum Rolls from Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Eggs with an Asian Accent from NinjaBaking.com
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Carrot Ginger Soup from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Chilled Spring Pea Soup from An Appealing Plan
- I Love You Mom Melon Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Strawberry Salad with Asparagus Mousse from Delaware Girl Eats
- Truffled Sea Salt Shrimp Arugula Salad from Family Foodie
- Vegetable Shu Mai from My Healthy Eating Habits
- Betty’s Salad from Jelly Toast
- Brussels Sprouts Kofta from Soni’s Food
- Cajun Shrimp Eggplant Casserole from Food Lust People Love
- Crepes Lorraine from Noshing With The Nolands
- Greek Chicken Pizza from Casa de Crews
- Ham and Spinach Quiche from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Lightened-Up Penne & Tomato Cream Sauce with Peas & Prosciutto from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mac & Cheese Dressed Up for Mother’s Day from Cooking Chat
- Mini Pot Pies from Jane’s Adventures in Cooking
- Paprika Shrimp from Nosh My Way
- Spears in a Blanket from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Banana Cream Pie from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Black-Eyed Susan from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cannoncini alla Crema from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Babka from Run DMT
- Chocolate Caramel Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Creme Brûlée from Desserts Required
- Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Gluten Free Lemon Curd Pie from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Cookies from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Limoncello Lemon Pound Cake from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Mom’s Glazed Blueberry Tarts from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mom’s Coconut Macaroons from MealDiva
- Mango Sorbet from Pescetarian Journal
- PB&J Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Peach Cobbler from Cookin’ Mimi
- Pina Colada Cake from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pineapple Empanadas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Scotch Tea Cookies from Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Shortcake Whipped Cream Cupcakes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Pies and Plots