I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.
Salted Caramel Kahlua glazed sugar cookies are an updated classic sugar cookie recipe. The sugar cookie icing uses salted caramel Kahlua to give this cookie recipe a new taste. These glazed sugar cookies are a hit of cookie tables!
Classic sugar cookie recipe
A classic sugar cookie recipe is simply a sweet, vanilla tasting cookie. So how can you change up the classic sugar cookie recipe? With the sugar cookie icing of course!
Glazed sugar cookies
The sugar cookie icing can change the flavor of the cookie. For example, add some strawberry extract to the cookie glaze and you will now have strawberry glazed sugar cookies.
Changing up the flavor of glazed sugar cookies is what I heated to do. I could just do a caramel glaze, but Kahlua had a salted caramel flavor that sounded perfect for sugar cookie icing!
Salted caramel Kahlua
Kahlua, which is an coffee flavor liquor, has been adding flavors to this popular liquor. One the flavors is salted caramel Kahlua. This flavor sounds like it would be heaven on a classic sugar cookie recipe.
Making this salted caramel Kahlua into a sugar cookie glaze was simpler than sounds. Instead of using milk or water with powder sugar, I used the Kahlua instead.
Sugar Cookie Icing
Using the liquor to make the sugar cookie icing, does it make the cookies alcoholic? Well yes, but if you like to not have the alcohol taste in the sugar cookie icing, simply add the salted caramel Kahlua to a saucepot, add a little water and bring to a simmer for 2-3 minutes. This will burn the alcohol off.
Then remove the Kahlua mixture from the heat, allow to cool a little, and then add to powdered sugar. You still get the salted caramel Kahlua taste but without the worry of the alcohol in the sugar cookie glaze!
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons Salted Caramel Kahlua
- Cream sugar and butter with a mixer until fluffy.
- Add egg and extracts and mix well.
- Sift the cream of tartar, baking soda, and flour together and stir into creamed mixture.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375º. and divide dough in half.
- Roll out on a surface lightly dusted with confectioner's sugar.
- Cut with cookie cutters and place on ungreased cookie sheet
- Sprinkle on the colored sugars onto the dough.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes, until cookies begin turning a light brown at the edges.
- Cool on a rack
Combine the sugar and Kahlua in a bowl. Stir until you have a thin glaze. If it is too thick add another teaspoon of the Kahlua.
When the cookies are cooled, spread the glaze on the cookies and let the glaze set up until it hardens.
Serve them up and ENJOY!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 123mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g