Ravioli and Meatball Soup is a hearty soup recipe. This Italian soup is garnished with homemade garlic bread croutons for the full Italian flavor.
Hearty Soup Recipes
I love hearty soup recipes. What is a hearty soup? It a soup that is full of ingredients that just fills you right up!
With the weather turning cooler, I find myself making more hearty soup recipes, especially with my slow cooker. However, I wanted to make a fulfilling soup that is budget friendly and also be an Italian soup.
There are several Italian soups that are hardy. I wanted to make an Italian soup that could be a complete Italian meal in a bowl. What would be budget friendly, a hardy Italian soup I could make? A ravioli soup was the answer.
Ravioli soup is a great idea to turn into a meal bowl soup. I didn’t want to just have a cheese ravioli in this Italian soup recipe. I decided to combine a meatball soup idea with this soup recipe.
Garlic Bread Croutons
If you look at my lasagna soup, it is a lasagna soup but with a twist. I used a cheesy garlic toast on top of the soup as you do with French onion soup. With this ravioli soup, I wanted to to do a similar concept, only I decided that it should be with homemade croutons, or should I say homemade garlic bread croutons!
What if this ravioli soup is too hardy of a soup for you? You could make it without the meatballs. However, you could just make it a meatball soup! Just leave out the cheese ravioli! This hearty Italian soup is very versatile!
- 1 pkg Italian Style Frozen Meatballs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 13 3/4 ounces beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon basil crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 12 ounces cheese ravioli, frozen, thawed
- 1 ⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 slices frozen garlic toast , cubed
- Italian cheese for garnish
- In a dutch oven, heat up the oil and add the onion and garlic and cook about 5 minutes, stirring so they do not burn.
- Add meatballs, tomatoes and their liquid, tomato paste, broth, wine, water, sugar, basil, thyme and oregano.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add ravioli and cook, covered, at a gentle boil for as long as specified on ravioli package.
- Salt to taste; stir in parsley., then let the soup sit off the heat till the croutons are baked.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- On a foil lined cookie sheet, add the cut up garlic bread and bake for 5 minutes.
- Take out the oven, ladle some the soup into a bowl, garnish with the Italian cheese and croutons and ENJOY!
- Farberware Buena Cocina Aluminum Nonstick Covered Soup Pot, 4-Quart, Red
- OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Ladle
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 25mg Sodium: 601mg Carbohydrates: 39g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 8g Protein: 12g