I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.
Apple Fritters AKA Apple fried donuts are wonderful breakfast pastries! This apple fritter donut is so yummy with a cup of coffee in the morning! You will like making up a batch of these apple fritters recipe for your family to enjoy!
Have you ever had breakfast pastries? Flaky crusts of dough with some fruit or even sweet cheese fillings? I love having breakfast pastries with a cup of coffee on Sunday mornings.
Breakfast pastries truthfully can be enjoyed anytime. There just something special about having a sweet pastry in the morning.
Apple fritter donut
My mother would bring home donuts after church on Sundays. I guess that is what started my love of having a pastry with a cup of coffee in the morning. In the box of donuts was always an apple fritter donut.
When I was moving down to Florida, my dad, me, and a Uhaul stopped overnight at a Hampton Inn in North Carolina. On the breakfast buffet, they served was an apple fritter donut. My dad said it was so much better than what we get up North. How can this be?
I later found out why a Southern apple fritters recipe was better than a Northern apple fritters recipe, it has to do with the fritter batter. The apple fritter donut is more cake-like up north where in the South, the fritter batter is more like funnel cake texture is the best way to describe it.
Which is better as an apple fritters recipe? Both versions are good, but the fritter batter does have a slight advantage, I mean who would not like deep-fried breakfast pastries?
Apple Fritters AKA Apple fried donuts is a wonderful morning treat! This apple filled pastry is so yummy with a cup of coffee in the morning!
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners' sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, butter, orange juice, zest and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture to dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fold in apples.
- In a skillet heat 1/4 inch of oil to 375°.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoons into oil.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Mix the Imperial Sugar with with the milk to make the glaze.
- Pour the glaze over the apple fritters.
- Serve them up and ENJOY!
You may need more milk if the glaze isn't thin enough, start with 1 tablespoon, and adjust.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1385Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 654mgCarbohydrates: 273gFiber: 5gSugar: 199gProtein: 13g