Grilled Portobello Mushrooms On Red Pepper Slaw and Cucumber Dressing is a healthy and flavorful dish you can make in the summer! This grilled portobello mushroom recipe is not only gluten-free but good for the waistline too!
Healthy Gluten Free Recipe
I admit I do not have many healthy, Gluten-free recipes here on Seduction in the Kitchen. Being a phlebotomist, I do test many people for gluten allergies.
It is amazing how gluten really is affecting more and more people. Although myself I do not have a gluten allergy, I am however on a constant diet.
Since I am being more health conscious, I admit I have been eating more gluten-free foods. I have also been doing the Keto diet as well.
Losing weight is important to me. So to lose weight, I do need to eat more keto friendly foods. As well as the gluten free ones. So what will that mean in recipe development? It means you will be seeing more recipes that are healthy.
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
So, what can I do that is healthy, tasty, and gluten-free? The answer was simple, Grilled Portobello Mushrooms.
I based the idea of doing a Grilled Portobello Mushroom on the idea of steak on the grill with a side of slaw. Portobello mushrooms have a good, meaty taste.
Plus portobellos have protein, and as many vegetarians will tell you, they eat a Grilled Portobello Mushrooms as a burger. Doing a grilled mushroom would be a perfect food to work with.
Red Pepper Slaw
Every recipe even a healthy recipe needs flavor. If a recipe is full of flavor, no one will even realize that is is a healthy recipe.
So I decided since grilled steak has slaw, let’s make a Red Pepper Slaw for this grilled portobello. This healthy slaw recipe is also gluten free as well.
This portobello recipe needs that wow factor. That is where the Cucumber Dressing comes into play. The flavor that this Cucumber Dressing has on the grilled portobello is outstanding.
This gluten-free, healthy recipe really is amazing. Yes, it is a vegetarian recipe but truthfully it is the perfect summer recipe.
Why is the perfect summer recipe, simple it perfect to have for grilling season when you want to be healthy. Plus it also great to serve up when it hot outside and you don’t feel like cooking!
- 6 portobello mushroom caps
- 2 garlic (minced)
- 1 small head of cabbage (shredded)
- 2 red peppers (julienned into small strips)
- 2 shallots (sliced thin and chopped)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 of a seedless cucumber
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- First, You want to make the slaw. Place the shredded cabbage, peppers, and shallots into a bowl and mix them well.
- Next, whisk the lemon juice, sugar, and 1/3 cup olive oil together. Season with a little salt and pepper. Then after it is whisked together, add to the red pepper mixture. Toss it well and set it aside.
- Next work on the cucumber dressing, chop up the cucumber and add into your blender with the vinegar. Puree the cucumber and slowly add the olive oil into the blender to allow it to emulsify into the dressing. When all incorporated, set that aside as well.
- Now, we will make these portobellos, brush the caps with a little olive oil and season them with a little salt and pepper. Place them on the grill, the inside area down first. Allow to cook for about 2-3 minutes. Then flip them over and cook the other side for about 2 minutes. Just before you take them off the grill, sprinkle a little the fresh, minced garlic onto the caps, and then take them off the grill.
- To plate these, put a little the red pepper slaw down first, then place the portobello on top, making sure that the inside area with the garlic is face up. Then drizzle some the cucumber dressing on the top, then ENJOY!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210