I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.
Crock Pot Mushroom Bisque With Gin is a wonderful crockpot soup recipe. This slow cooker mushroom soup has a gin ingredient that really makes the flavor pop! Plus this mushroom bisque is an easy recipe to make.
Crockpot soup recipes
I love making crockpot soup recipes. I can put all the ingredients into a slow cooker and be done. One soup most are afraid to make as a crockpot soup recipe is a cream soup or a bisque.
For cream soups or bisques you have to wait to add the milk products until later. So a slow cooker cream soup recipe isn’t quite dumped and forget. This intimidates some from trying to make the soup recipe in a crockpot.
Bisque vs soup
A bisque is a soup. However, the main difference between bisque vs soup is that in a bisque the main ingredient is cooked with alcohol, which’s been puréed with cream for a thicker consistency.
I really wanted to make a cream of mushroom soup. However, a friend talked me into making a mushroom bisque instead. Although a white cooking wine would be ideal to use in a mushroom bisque, I decided to use a gin ingredient instead.
Why use a gin ingredient? Gin is made with juniper berries, I thought that the sharp taste of gin would be good in a slow cooker mushroom soup.
Slow cooker mushroom soup
Even though this mushroom bisque is being made with gin, I still wanted this to be a slow cooker mushroom soup. I wanted this mushroom soup to be easy.
One way to have this as an easy soup recipe is to have it be made in the slow cooker. A slow cooker mushroom soup recipe is perfect for anyone to make that loves cream of mushroom soup.
This mushroom bisque with the secret gin ingredient, how does it taste? My taste testers loved it! The gin really added to the mushroom soup.
Do you need the gin in this mushroom bisque? No, you can omit it, but it does really enhance the flavor in this soup recipe!
- 2 packages of sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 5 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 whole onion (grated)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Letherbee Gin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- Saute the mushrooms in the 5 tablespoons of butter, saute them for about 2 minutes then add the onion continue sauteing the mushrooms and onions for another 2-3 minutes.
- In a crock pot, put the chicken broth and the Letherbee gin in it. When you are done sauteing the mushrooms and onions add them to the chicken broth mixture. Let them cook on low for about 2-3 hours, just till the vegetables get soft.
- After cooking for 2-3 hours, take a slotted spoon and take out about half the mushrooms and put them into a blender to puree them. You do not have to pure them till smooth, just til they are chunky smooth.
- Add the pureed mushrooms back into the crock pot. Give it a good mix.
- Add the sour cream and heavy cream to the soup. Stir again so that well blended together.
- Season with the garlic salt and pepper, taste it to see if you need to adjust. Then cover and let cook for another hour on low.
- Mix the 2 tablespoons of melted butter and 2 tablespoons of flour together. You are making a roux, to thicken the soup, doing this works the best to add to a crock pot. Once you have this flour and butter mixed together, take a soup spoon scoop it out the bowl and stir it into the soup, keep stirring the spoon till it it clean. Cover and let cook for a half hour longer, so it will thicken up.
- Ladle some up in a bowl and ENJOY!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 825mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g