This post was most recently updated
Cranberry Apple Yam Bake is a wonderful alternative to yam with marshmallow. This baked yam recipe combines cranberries, yams, and apples for wonderful flavor. This yam bake is a great holiday side dish! Serves 6
Yam With Marshmallow
Growing up, my family never had a yam bake at the holiday table. In fact, a baking yam was never done in my mom’s kitchen. So I never had yam with marshmallow until I was married and on my own.
The first time I made yam with marshmallow, it was really good and I fell in love with canned yam recipes after that. Now that I am watching my sugar intake yam with marshmallow is not the ideal holiday recipe for me. So I need a marshmallow free yam bake.
Years ago I made an apple yam bake for my first Thanksgiving meal I cooked as a divorced woman. It was good, but it also had marshmallows on it. I thought, If I play with that canned yam recipe, I could make that yam bake marshmallow free.
Canned Yam Recipes
I have always used canned yam recipes. Why? As I said above my mom never had baking yams in her kitchen. Plus I hate to admit this when comes to canned yam, it just makes baking yam dish easier. Plus maybe I am being lazy because I do not want to peel a yam.
Baked Yam Recipe
The tart of both granny smith apples and cranberries with the sweet yams and walnuts in a cinnamon sauce is simply amazing. My favorite part of this baked yam recipe is when this yam bake was baking up, the aroma that was coming out of the oven. It just smells like it is the holidays.
There is something about the cinnamon smell in a kitchen that can cheer anyone up. I love that sweet cinnamon smell of this canned yam recipe. When you have that first bite of this apple yam bake, all I can say is YUM! It is a perfect combo of flavors.
Cranberry Apple Yam Bake
My taste testers really love this Cranberry Apple Yam Bake. They commented that they did not miss the traditional yam with marshmallow. That was my goal, to create a yam side dish that can be an alternative to a marshmallow yam bake. I achieved it with this Cranberry Apple Yam Bake.
Cranberry Apple Yam Bake is a wonderful alternative to marshmallow-topped yams. This yam side dish will be the new favorite recipe.
- 2 Granny Smith apples, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 (17 ounce) cans yams, drained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray lightly.
- Mix the brown sugar with the cinnamon together.
- Next places a layer of apples and yams on the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle on a little bit of the brown sugar mixture.
- Top with some of the cranberries and nuts.
- Dot that layer with half of the butter. Then repeat doing the layers again.
- Once you have all together drizzle the heavy cream over the top of the dish.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Take out the oven, serve it up and ENJOY!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bakeware Set, Krokori Rectangular Baking Pan Ceramic Glaze Baking Dish for Cooking, Kitchen, Cake Dinner, Banquet and Daily Use - Aquamarine, 3 Pack of Rectangular
Apple Corer, Newness Premium Apple Corer Remover, Stainless Steel Apple or Pear Core Remover Tool for Home & Kitchen with Sharp Serrated Blade
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 68mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 2g
Check out my the latest on my other blog:
Latest posts by Deanna Samaan (see all)
- Homemade Ricotta: Easy to make and only 3 ingredients - February 20, 2020
- Cinnamon Swirl English Muffin Bread - February 20, 2020
- Rhubarb Peach Scones - February 20, 2020