BBQ Battered Fried Mushrooms
BBQ Battered Fried Mushrooms is a different take on fried mushrooms. These have a BBQ flavor added to them in the batter making them so delicious.
I have always loved to cook. I remember being about 13 years old and I was in a Home Ec class, I was paired up with someone and we had to create a recipe. We picked mushrooms I am not sure why me and my partner picked that but that was what we did.
I came up with dipping the mushrooms in BBQ sauce then bread them. I remember the teacher liked them and said, “I never heard of dipping mushrooms in BBQ sauce before. Well, I lied and said, “My mom does it all the time!”
Flash forward to now. The other days I was thinking about making an appetizer for Super Bowl. I suddenly just wanted fried mushrooms. I knew I had 2 packages of whole mushrooms for a recipe I had ideas about. So maybe that why I really wanted fried mushrooms.
Well, there is a restaurant here in Cleveland called FatHeads. Truth be told, it really a Pittsburgh Restaurant. It has Pittsburgh style of food there. Plus it is based in Pittsburgh.
It is namely the sandwiches. They are sandwiches that are big. Like the size of your head big. But what makes them Pittsburgh style, they pile the stuff on.
I made my own version of that sandwich:
That is the #5 sandwich in the nation, at least according to Maxim magazine. It is called the South Side Slopes. Pittsburgh is famous for piling stuff on like this.
BBQ Battered Fried Mushrooms
The original FatHeads is on the South Side of Pittsburgh, that why that sandwich is called the South Side Slopes. You will never get a Clevelander to admit they love Pittsburgh food and the favorite sandwich is named after a place in Pittsburgh. Anyway, they also have these really good battered mushrooms there.
I was thinking of ordering them and recreating that recipe when I remembered about the BBQ Battered Fried Mushrooms I did back when I was 13. So I went on a hunch why not try to recreate the BBQ Battered Fried Mushrooms. My hunch turned out to be a good one!
A different take on fried mushrooms. These have a BBQ taste to them in the batter. A recipe from Seduction in the Kitchen
- In a bowl, mix the flour, pepper, garlic powder, salt and paprika together. Take 5 tablespoons of the flour mixture out and put into another bowl. Add the egg and milk to that 5 tablespoons and mix until smooth.
- Put the BBQ sauce in a another bowl and dip the mushrooms in it, covering the mushroom completely with the BBQ sauce.
- Take the BBQ covered mushroom and then cover the mushroom with the batter. Yes the BBQ will start to blend into the batter it is ok. Cover the Mushroom with the BBQ batter.
- Roll the BBQ Battered mushroom in the flour mixture, cover it completely with flour mixture.
- Heat up abut 2 inches of vegetable oil in a fry pan, then fry the mushrooms in the oil for about 2 minutes then turn them to fry for another 2 minutes. Make sure you get all sides and that they are fried to a nice golden brown. Take them out the oil and drain onto a paper towel.
- Once drained and cooled, then ENJOY!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 214kcal Calories from fat 30|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 3g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|