Orange Snowball Cookies are a delightful citrus twist on the traditional snowball cookie. They will melt in your mouth with flavor.
It is that time for Freaky Friday! This time the theme is COOKIES! I the past I have done Honey Roasted Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie, Peach Sweet Tea, and Marinated Olives With Red Wine Vinaigrette in the past for the Freaky Friday events.
What is Freaky Friday? Michaela from An Affair From The Heart gathers a bunch of food bloggers once a quarter and assigns each another food blog to create one of their recipes. This quarter happens as the baking season begins. So what better than a virtual cookie exchange amongst the blogs!
I was assigned the boys Dan and Scott from Platter Talk this round. I love the boys, Dan and Scott are simply amazing with what they can whip up in their kitchen all while raising 5 sons. They are the superheroes of the culinary world.
I had my work cut out for me to choose a cookie recipe from Platter Talk. Of course, me being a Libra, I had a hard time deciding. I could have done:
Orange Snowball Cookies
I ended up choosing the Orange Snowball Cookies from Platter Talk. I choose these citrus-infused cookies because I have never seen them before. I love different.
I made the choice to switch it up slightly. Instead of traditional orange juice, the store had these beautiful blood red oranges. I really wanted to use these orange goddesses of the citrus world in these Orange Snowball Cookies.
To me, blood oranges have a slight red wine taste to them. The crimson red tinted the snowballs to this lovely pinkish hue. Then when the Orange Snowball Cookies were rolled in the orange infused sugar, the flecks of orange in that coating just made for a very pretty cookie.
Trust me, you will simply love these Orange Snowball Cookies from the boys from Platter Talk. You will be glad I choose this buttery-rich citrus treats for the Freaky Friday event. Once you start eating these little jewels, you won’t be able to stop!
Check out the rest of the Freaky Friday Cookies:
Check Out these Recipes:
- Bookies: Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownies
- Cherry Brie Pillows
- Chocolate Cherry Almond Chutney #choctoberfest
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- Using bowl mixer, combine butter and powdered sugar until creamed together.
- Next, add 1 tablespoon of orange peel, reserving the remaining.
- Mix in orange juice, then gradually add flour and mix until well incorporated.
- Roll dough into small (golf ball size) rounds and place on non-greased baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until firm.
- While cookies are baking, combine granulated sugar and remaining orange peel, place in small food processor and incorporate fully. If you don't have a food processor, mix the two together in a small bowl.
- When the cookies are finished baking, allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet. While cookies are still warm, roll them in the sugar and orange peel mixture.
If sugar coating does not adhere to cookies, created a sweet glue by mixing about a half cup of powdered sugar with a tablespoon or so of fresh orange juice. Roll the warm cookies in this bath and then coat with the sugar and orange peel mixture. You may have to press the sugar into the cookies, but don't give up as these are delicious!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 1mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 13g Protein: 1g