I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.
Oktoberfest Mac n Cheese is a flavorful stovetop mac and cheese. This creamy macaroni and cheese recipe uses an Oktoberfest beer to make it a beer mac and cheese. You will want to add this homemade macaroni and cheese recipe to your Oktoberfest recipes!
Oktoberfest is huge! When comes to Oktoberfest recipes, you think sauerkraut and sausage. Have you considered a homemade macaroni and cheese recipe for Oktoberfest?
Inspiration to create something for an Oktoberfest recipe came from a grocery store in Ohio. They had this beer mac and cheese that was made with an Oktoberfest beer.
What a great idea for Oktoberfest recipes. Using something traditional and adding that Oktoberfest flavor to it!
Beer mac and cheese
In Ohio, we had the local beer company that made an Oktoberfest beer. So when I made this beer mac and cheese originally I use it. However, you can use any Oktoberfest beer for this homemade macaroni and cheese recipe.
Homemade Mac n Cheese Recipe
I felt a homemade mac n cheese recipe with the Great Lakes Oktoberfest would be great for autumn mac n cheese. I Felt if I boil the elbow macaroni in Oktoberfest beer, that flavor would be infused into the pasta. It is a gamble but really feel it could work for this Oktoberfest recipe.
The secret to this Oktoberfest Mac ‘n Cheese would be in the cheese. I was trying to think about what cheese would be good with this beer-infused macaroni when I spotted at the store Cabot Creamery’s new cheese. It was a Smokey Bacon.
That was when my brain started to think, why not keep this simple, use the regular cheddar cheese from Cabot Creamery and this smokey bacon cheese as well. Those cheeses would be wonderful with beer.
The Cabot Creamery cheeses shredded very nicely. Plus it melts so nicely into the roux I made for this mac n cheese. I am really loving the flavor that the Cabot cheese was created in the sauce.
Stovetop mac and cheese
You can bake mac n cheese, however, you can also make stovetop mac and cheese as well. I went with a stovetop version because I wanted this to be a creamy macaroni and cheese recipe.
I felt the cooking macaroni and cheese as a stovetop recipe would really make this an ooey-gooey recipe. That was what I was looking for when comes to a good cheese macaroni recipe, especially if I was making it as a beer mac and cheese.
The end result was just what I wanted. This homemade macaroni and cheese recipe was perfect. The beer gave great flavor and it also had the perfect creaminess to it.
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 ounces Cabot sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 4 ounces Cabot smokey bacon cheese (shredded)
- 2 cup bottles of Oktoberfest beer (reserve 1/2)
- 2 teaspoons full strength prepared stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ⁄2 black pepper (freshly ground)
- Put the beer, all but 1/2 cup of it, into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Gradually add macaroni and boil approximately 10 minutes or until pasta reaches desired tenderness. Drain.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour to the pan, stirring constantly until a smooth paste forms.
- Stirring constantly, gradually add milk and continue cooking until mixture is thick and bubbly (mixture should coat the back of a spoon).
- Add the cheeses and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and 1/2 cup of beer, mustard, garlic powder, pepper. Stir well.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes, it will thicken as it cools.
- Serve it up and ENJOY!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 555mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 17g