I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.
[intro]Mushroom and onion smothered cube steak is an easy cube steak recipe. This cube steak in slow cooker has sautéed onions and mushrooms added to the smothered steak for great flavor![/intro]
Cubed steak and gravy
Growing up, my mom would make this cubed steak and gravy dish for dinner. She throws the cube steak in a slow cooker and covers it in gravy. It always came out so well.
Cubed steak and gravy was one of my mom’s budget meals. At the grocery store, you could always get a cube steak very cheap.
How to cook cube steak
How to cook cube steak for your family? As I mentioned, you can cook it in a slow cooker like this smothered steak. Cube steak can also be baked in the oven and also fried in a pan. Cooking a cube steak meal is actually very versatile.
What is a smothered steak? A smothered steak means it is just drenched in a thick sauce. In this case, the smothered steak is cube steak and gravy.
I wanted to more than just have a smothered steak in gravy. I decided to let’s add in some sautéed mushrooms and onions as well.
Sautéed onions and mushrooms
In my household sautéed onions and mushrooms always accompanied steak. So adding in the mushrooms and onions to this easy cube steak recipe was a must for me.
Just because you on a budget doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice flavor. The sautéed onions and mushrooms add flavor to this cube steak in the slow cooker.
Cube steak in slow cooker
One reason I decided to make a cube steak in slow cooker is that the slow cooker makes the smothered steak tender. If you fry the steak it could be tough.
However, cooking this smothered steak on low all day in the slow cooker results in a tender cube steak. Plus a slow cooker makes this an easy cube steak recipe. As said many times in my slow cooker recipes, it is a dump and forgets about it! You can’t get any easier than that!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Vegeta
- 6 beef cube steaks
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion , sliced into rings
- 4 ounces mushrooms , sliced
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 jar au jus gravy (8 ounce)
- 1 can golden mushroom soup (10 ounce)
- 1 packet beef onion soup mix (1 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- mashed potatoes
- Heat oil in a skillet over med/high heat.
- Put flour and Vegeta in a zip lock bag and mix well.
- Add the cube steaks one at a time, close bag, and shake to coat in flour.
- Add steaks to hot oil and brown on each side. Transfer steaks to the slow cooker.
- In the skillet saute the onions and mushrooms for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add sliced onion rings, garlic and mushrooms, balsamic, and 2 cups of water to the slow cooker.
- Mix in the gravy, onion soup mix, and the golden mushroom soup
- Cook on low setting for 8 hours.
- Serve over mashed potatoes and ENJOY!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 575Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 758mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 35g
Looking for more slow cooker recipes? Check out these recipes: