Hot German Noodle Salad is a Pennsylvania Dutch salad recipe. This German noodle dish will fill you up and is a perfect side dish. You will love serving this easy noodle salads recipe. Serves 6
Noodle In German
How do you say noodle in German? The answer is Nudel. Ok so why the noodle in German?
It is Sunday Supper time and I thought it would be interesting to learn something new. This time I am making a German salad recipe for you!
German Salad Recipes
When you think salad you think lettuce, tomatoes, and dressing. German salad recipes have much more bulk to them. In fact, German salad recipes are usually a hot, bulky salad that fills you up.
Pennsylvania Dutch Food
I am from Pennsylvania and, my PA roots involve Pennsylvania Dutch food. Much of Pennsylvania Dutch food is German ancestry. So german salads are the norm for me.
How To Make A Noodle Salad
Digging around some these old church cookbooks my mom gave me I found how to make a noodle salad. This German noodle dish was in one of those old church cookbooks.
German Salad Recipe
Anyway, this German salad recipe is like the “cousin” of the German Potato salad. It is just an easy noodle salad recipes. This German noodle dish has this tangy dressing with the bacon just make this salad pop with flavor. It is perfect as a side to a pork roast, or you can be like me and just eat it all by itself as the main entrée.
[ctt template=”4″ link=”fefha” via=”yes” ]This German noodle dish will fill you up and is a perfect side dish. You will love serving this easy noodle salads recipe! #salad #noodle #German[/ctt]
Hot German Noodle Salad is a Pennsylvania Dutch salad recipe. This German noodle dish will fill you up and is a perfect side dish. You will love serving this easy noodle salads recipe!
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- 3 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper towels; crumble and set aside.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings in the skillet; add the onion and cook until the onion is clear.
- Stir in sugar, flour, salt, and mustard. Then add water and vinegar and cook until thickened and bubbly, constantly stirring, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add noodles to skillet with the celery and parsley; heat through.
- Transfer to serving bowl; sprinkle with bacon, give one final toss, then serve it up and ENJOY!
- Cuisinart 719-16 Chef's Classic Stainless Saucepan with Cover, 1 1/2 Quart
- Colander Set - 2 Collapsible Colanders (Strainers) Set By Comfify - Includes 2 Folding Strainers Sizes 8" - 2 Quart and 9.5" - 3 Quart Red and Grey
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 21mg Sodium: 301mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 5g
Check out my the latest on my other blog: