Hot German Noodle Salad is a Pennsylvania Dutch salad recipe that will fill you up and is a perfect side dish for #SundaySupper. A recipe from Seduction in the Kitchen
Has it really felt like winter to you? To me not really. The up and down of the temps, it just been a weird winter in Ohio. I saw robins in January and knew people still mowing Grass at Christmas time. Even the weatherman said we had a snow deficit this year in North East Ohio.
Still, it is winter, in winter we have nice fulfilling, hearty meals, comfort foods as they say. Yes, even a salad can be a winter staple. That is what this week’s theme in Sunday Supper is all about, winter salads.
Most when you think salad you think lettuce, tomatoes, and dressing, it more of a diet food, or even warmer weather eats. Not really salad can be a winter meal as well. To me, a winter salad is usually a hot, bulky salad that fills you up. This has to be because of my roots, my PA roots that is. Many of the German ancestry that is in Pennsylvania is that PA Dutch traditions. So they do make salads that are not lettuce based, and to me, this is what a winter salad is, a nonlettuce based salad but will fill you up.
Many people are more familiar with Hot German Potato Salad, yes that can be a winter salad, but potato salad to me is still more summer like. Digging around some these old church cookbooks my mom gave me When we go to church rummage sales we look in the book sections you find all these old cookbooks that members of organizations, churches, even schools, put together and they are a great resource for recipes. The oldest one I have is from the 1050’s, and it some really neat, “treasured” recipes in it. That was where I found this recipe.
Anyway this salad, well let’s call it the “cousin” of the German Potato salad. It is just a simple noodle version. It is very simple to make and has this tangy dressing with the bacon just make this salad pop with flavor. It is perfect as a side to a pork roast, or you can be like me and just eat it all by itself as the main entrée.
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 cup ⁄4 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ⁄2 salt
- 1 teaspoon ⁄8 ground mustard
- 1 cup ⁄2 water
- 1 cup ⁄4 cider vinegar
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper towels; crumble and set aside.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon drippings in the skillet; add the onion and cook until the onion is clear.
- Stir in sugar, flour, salt, and mustard. Then add water and vinegar and cook until thickened and bubbly, constantly stirring, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add noodles to skillet with the celery and parsley; heat through.
- Transfer to serving bowl; sprinkle with bacon, give one final toss, then serve it up and ENJOY!
So are you ready to see the rest of the winter salad line up for #SundaySupper? Here you go:
#SundaySupper Winter Salads
- Amish Ham Salad from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Arugula, Butternut & White Bean Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Pook’s Pantry
- Arugula Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Cooking Chat
- Beet Terrine from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Blood Orange and Salmon Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Blood Orange, Beet, and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Honey Vinaigrette from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Blue Cheese and Pear Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Breakfast Salad from Our Good Life
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with White Bean Dressing and Pecan Crisps from Beauty and the Beets
- Chill Chasing Matchstick Vegetable Pasta Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chopped Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and Bacon from MyGourmetConnection
- Citrus Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cobb Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Colorful Veggie Filled Quinoa with a Ginger-Lemon Dressing from Positively Stacy
- Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad from The Crumby Cupcake
- Escarole and Roasted Broccoli Salad with Anchovy Dressing from The Texan New Yorker
- Farro Salad with Roasted Squash, Radicchio and Lemon-Tahini Dressing from Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Chicken Salad from Real Food Real Deals
- Hot German Hot Noodle Salad from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing from My Life Cookbook
- Lemony Couscous Lentil Salad from Magnolia Days
- Low-Carb Spinach Breakfast Salad from Life Tastes Good
- Mandarin Tossed Salad from Meal Planning Magic
- Orange and Walnut Baby Spinach Salad w/ Quinoa and Citrus Vinaigrette from The Freshman Cook
- Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans and Dried Cranberries from The Chef Next Door
- Radicchio Pear Walnut Salad from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pearl Couscous Salad from Mysavoryspoon
- Roasted Savoy Cabbage Slaw with Spicy Bacon Dressing from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Squash and Cabbage Salad with Crispy Chick Peas from Monica’s Table
- Shredded Beet Salad from Wholistic Woman
- Simple Arugula, Fennel and Leek Salad with Citrus from Simply Healthy Family
- Simple Spinach Cobb Salad With Lardons from And She Cooks
- Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette from From Gate to Plate
- Warm Balsamic Steak Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing from Momma’s Meals
- Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese from Nik Snacks
- Warm Cauliflower Spinach Salad with Pancetta from Taste and See
- Warm Potato and Broccoli Buffalo Salad from Sweet Mornings
- Warm Potato Salad with Arugula, Bacon and Brown Butter from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Warm Steak Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from Family Foodie
- Wilted Lettuce Salad from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Winter BLT Panzanella Salad from Hardly a Goddess
- Winter Citrus and Endive Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Winter Fruit Salad from Pies and Plots
- Winter Kale and Wild Rice Salad from Moore or Less Cooking
- Winter Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apple, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Winter Squash Quinoa Salad from Kitchen Gidget
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Wild Rice Salad plus more Winter Salad Recipes #SundaySupper from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.