I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.
Mexican Salmon Burger With Slaw is an easy salmon burger recipe! This Mexican burger uses salmon that is infused with Latin flavors. The star is the salmon burger toppings, a spicy Mexican slaw recipe!
Creative Burger Recipe
Kita, from Girl Carnivore, has created a monthly creative burger recipe challenge. Each month she gives a list of ingredients you have to use to make a creative burger recipe!
This month the ingredients are:
- Old Bay Seasoning
That list of ingredients says to me lets create a Mexican burger! Not just any Mexican burger, a salmon burger recipe!
Salmon Burger Recipe
I really love salmon recipes. So making a salmon burger recipe has been on my backburner for a while. This creative burger challenge was finally my chance to come up with a salmon burger recipe!
Salmon Burger Toppings
What can I do with the salmon burger toppings? A Mexican burger needs flavorful toppings. A salmon burger recipe needs burger toppings that will complement the Latin flavors. A Mexican slaw recipe is what I came up with for this salmon burger toppings!
Mexican Slaw Recipe
I saw the inspiration on Pinterest for a Mexican slaw recipe. I felt this Mexican burger would really do well with a slaw recipe is the toppings!
Gourmet Burger Recipe
How did I incorporate the other ingredients of corn, Tomatillos, and Old Bay Seasoning into this gourmet burger recipe? The rules are to incorporate each ingredient into our homemade burger recipes. The gourmet burger can use any version of those ingredients.
For the corn, I used cornmeal. You need a binder to help keep the salmon burger recipe together. I also diced up the Tomatillos and added them to the homemade burger recipe.
Using the secret ingredients in this Mexican salmon recipe gave this fish burger that Latin flavor I was after. What really makes this gourmet burger awesome has to be the salmon burger toppings, that Mexican slaw recipe on the top.
I will let you in on a small secret on that salmon burger topping, the Black Sesame Seed in the slaw, was an accident. I grabbed the wrong ingredient when I was making the Mexican slaw recipe.
I just decided to let’s see what happens. Honestly, this slaw tasted good with it! So I kept the black sesame seeds in the slaw recipe!
Mexican Salmon Burger
- 1 lb skinless salmon fillets
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tomatillos, chopped and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- Hamburger Buns
- 4 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- Small onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 limes, juiced (about ¼ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 dashes Tabasco sauce
- Black sesame seeds (optional)
- Chop the salmon fillets into small chunks and add to a bowl
- Mix in the cornmeal, Old Bay Seasoning, tomatillos, garlic, coriander, and the lime juice.
- Mix until it is well combined
- Form into patties and place them in the fridge to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Heat up about a tablespoon of oil in a skillet.
- Cook the salmon burgers on each side until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side.
- In a large bowl add the cabbage, carrot, onion, cilantro leaves, and celery.
- Toss everything together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the canola oil, lime juice, garlic, honey, cumin, coriander, Tabasco sauce, and sesame seeds together.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat everything.
- Let the slaw sit in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Place the salmon burger patty on the bottom of the hamburger bun.
- Top it off with some the slaw.
- Then place the top bun. Serve them up and ENJOY!
If the salmon feels too wet, add a little more cornmeal.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Rorence Stainless Steel Non-Slip Mixing Bowls With Pour Spout, Handle and Lid, Nesting Set of 3, Red
Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet 2 Piece Set (12.5 inch & 8 inch Pans) Best Heavy Duty Professional Restaurant Chef Quality Pre Seasoned Pan Cookware Set - Great For Frying, Saute, Cooking Pizza & More
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325