Mexican Salmon Burger With Slaw is a south of the border inspired recipe! This creative burger uses salmon then infuses it with Latin flavors. Then to top off this flavorful salmon burger is a spicy Mexican slaw! Serves 6
Creative Burger Recipe
Kita, from Girl Carnivore, has created a monthly creative burger recipe challenge. Each month she gives a list of ingredients you have to use to make a creative burger recipe with!
This month the ingredients are:
- Old Bay Seasoning
Latin Inspired Burger
That list of ingredients says to me lets create a Latin inspired burger! Only the protein in this Latin-flavored burger is SALMON!
I really love salmon recipes. So making a salmon burger has been on my backburner for a while. This creative burger challenge was finally my chance to come up with a salmon burger recipe!
I really wanted a topping on this Mexican salmon burger to enhance the flavor. I wanted something different. Then I saw the inspiration on Pinterest, a Mexican slaw!
Mexican Salmon Burger With Slaw
How did I incorporate the other ingredients of corn, Tomatillos, and Old Bay Seasoning into this Mexican Salmon Burger With Slaw? The rules are to incorporate each ingredient, but it can be any version of those ingredients.
For the corn, I used cornmeal. You need a binder to help keep the salmon together in burger form. I also diced up the Tomatillos and added them to the salmon patties.
South Of The Border Flavor
Using the secret ingredients in this Mexican salmon recipe gave this fish burger that south of the border flavor I was after. What really makes this salmon burger awesome has to be the slaw on the top.
That Mexican Flavored slaw just gives a good zing to this burger recipe. I will let you in on a small secret, the Black Sesame Seed in the slaw, was an accident. I grabbed the wrong ingredient when I was making the slaw.
I just decided let’s see what happens. Honestly, this slaw tasted good with it! So I kept the black sesame seeds in the slaw recipe!
Mexican Salmon Burger With Slaw is a south of the border inspired recipe! This creative burger uses salmon then infuses it with Latin flavors. Then to top off this flavorful salmon burger is a spicy Mexican slaw!
- 1 lb skinless salmon fillets
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tomatillos, chopped and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- Hamburger Buns
- 4 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- Small onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 limes, juiced (about ¼ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 dashes Tabasco sauce
- Black sesame seeds (optional)
- Chop the salmon fillets into small chunks and add to a bowl
- Mix in the cornmeal, Old Bay Seasoning, tomatillos, garlic, coriander, and the lime juice.
- Mix until it is well combined
- Form into patties and place them in the fridge to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Heat up about a tablespoon of oil in a skillet.
- Cook the salmon burgers on each side until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side.
- In a large bowl add the cabbage, carrot, onion, cilantro leaves, and celery.
- Toss everything together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the canola oil, lime juice, garlic, honey, cumin, coriander, Tabasco sauce, and sesame seeds together.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat everything.
- Let the slaw sit in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Place the salmon burger patty on the bottom of the hamburger bun.
- Top it off with some the slaw.
- Then place the top bun. Serve them up and ENJOY!
If the salmon feels too wet, add a little more cornmeal.
- Calories: 325
Keywords: salmon, burgers, Mexican, Latin, Slaw
Like it? Pin it!