Have you started planning your Superbowl feast yet? I have to work the next day, so I am going light on what I do have. Plus, yes I am still trying to lose weight. Luckily when I make these food that not diet friendly, I have amazing friends who stop by and gobble it up for me. Actually I am doing very well on my weight loss goals. I use the glider every day, well that is every day I am home, when I am out traveling for work, I can’t use it on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I really love this glider, I never thought I say this glider makes exercising fun.
When I was trying to figure out some recipes for Superbowl parties, I was looking at my stats and seen that Tailgate Crock Pot Pierogies with Keilbasa, Bacon, and Onions is one my top viewed recipes, especial right now around Football time. I do make regular pierogies in the crock pot and I have made those and brought to work for the few potlucks we have had. People love the sauce I make for pierogies, it a simple sauce of heavy cream, bacon, onions, butter, and balsamic, cheese. It just takes my pierogies to another level.
Plus, me being from Pittsburgh, pierogies is a staple in the household. I mean we even have pierogie races in PNC Park for when the Pirates play. In fact I made a copy cat recipe of a local Pittsburgh sandwich that has pierogies on it, the South Side Slopes, which by the way was #5 in Maxim Magazine’s top sandwiches in the USA. We Pittsburghers love pierogies. So coming up with a new pierogie recipe is like butter on bread for me. Well not really, but it is fun to think of a new way to use the pierogies.
How can pierogies be a snack food? By baking then rather then frying them or boiling them, they have a firmer structure. BRUSCHETTA!
A co-worker of mine is from Poland, she makes amazing homemade pierogies. One of they types she makes is with mushrooms. It is so good and yummy. I love that mushroom filling she makes. So that was inspiration for the topping for this pierogie bruschetta.
Pierogie Bruschetta are pierogies with a mushroom, bacon, green onion topping with a smokey cheese sauce. Perfect appetizer for Superbowl party. A recipe from Seduction in the Kitchen
- 1 box of frozen pierogies
- 6 whole mushrooms chopped
- 4 green onions sliced
- 4-5 strips of bacon crumbled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 1 table spoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated smoked gruyere cheese
- cooking spray
- sour cream
- Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees
- On a cookie sheet, spray it with some cooking spray, like Pam. Place the layer of the frozen pierogies, and spray the tops with some additional cooking spray. Bake them for about 10 minutes, then flip the pierogies over, light spray of the cooking spray on them and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saute pan. Add the mushrooms and green onions to the butter. Saute them for about 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Next add the crumbled bacon and cook for another minute.
- Add the heavy cream and balsamic, stir the mixture and let simmer for about a minute
- Next add in the freshly grated cheese. If you do not have smoked gruyere, then use another smoked cheese like gouda. stir the entire mixture till the cheese is nice and melted. Take the topping off the heat.
- Place the pierogies on a serving dish and spoon the topping on the top of each one.
- Next garnish, the bruschetta with small dollops of sour cream, then serve them up and ENJOY!
Do you love this Pierogie Bruschetta? Follow me on Facebook and Instagram! Don’t want miss a recipe? Signup for my monthly newsletter with all the recipes posted in last month! Don’t forget to check out my Flavor Store for great tasting spices, dips, and so much more!