Persian Kebabs with Saffron Butter
I admit I like culture. I love to learn all about different cultures. I also admit I am fascinated with Mediterranean culture, sometimes I think I may have been Mediterranean in another life if that is real.
Anyway, I liked someone who was Persian, and I wanted to learn his dishes. Like what I explained in the Salad Shiraz recipe. It’s something I do, impress a guy with my cooking.
I believe the old, “a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach saying”. Anyway, part the reason I wanted to learn his recipes, besides trying to impress him, was because I do like to learn new things. One thing I learned about Persian cooking is that it is very healthy and it has flavor from the saffron, turmeric, lemon, and rosewater.
I actually love making many of the Persian dishes. Since my ah-huh moment last year, I live a more healthy lifestyle. I eat organic, I exercise, if you noticed, I do not use anything plastic, it glass metal, ceramic.
So learning these recipes, even though originally it was to impress a guy, it really helped me in my diet and the healthy lifestyle I am living now. I believe everything happens for a reason, and maybe me wanting to impress him was the way to introduce tasty, healthy food recipes to me! Yes, I know before you say it, wait you made sweets. Yes, but in all honesty, I tend to give the sweets away. I like making them but rarely eat them. Strange I know for someone who likes to bake.
Anyway, getting back to Persian cooking, the kebabs are one the more known in Persian cooking. Normally, you make these on a stick and grill them. Since I was still in a cast, I can’t get to my grills and I was craving these beauties.
I decided let’s make them without the stick and bake them. Saffron is my new love in spices. I saw somewhere where someone made a saffron butter for another dish, and it came to me why not baste these with saffron butter, since I could not grill them. Turned out to be a good idea.
Persian Kebabs with Saffron Butter, a twist on a popular Persian dish. A recipe from Seduction in the Kitchen.
- First you want to squeeze as much water out the grated onion as possible. After that add the onion to the meats, garlic, bread crumbs, egg, turmeric, lemon juice, black pepper, and salt. Mix every together well.
- Next you want to shape the meat into little “logs” and place them in a baking dish.
- Melt the butter and add the saffron, and mix it up.
- Pre heat your oven to 400 degrees. Use that butter mixture and brush it on the kebabs. Than bake them for 10 minutes. Turn the kebabs over and brush the kebabs again with the saffron butter and bake for another 10 minutes. Finally flip them over one last time, brush the remaining butter on them and bake for 5 more minutes.
- When your done baking them take out the oven, and serve!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 260kcal Calories from fat 174|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 19g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||40%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|