“How to lose weight, and eat tasty food.” That should be a title of a book. Most diet foods, they are better than what they were in the past. The better it tastes, the more it make you gain weight, you know this, I know this. It is all the fat content that makes it taste so damn good! Thank heaven, things like lemons, garlic, and spices exist to help make bland diet foods taste better.
It is the baking area, I feel that needs improvement, when comes to taste and being healthy. Stop before you say it, “there is Splenda,” I do not like artificial sweeteners. It is the taste, it awful to me. I can tell when stuff has it in there, even in the smallest amount. It has an fake taste to it. That why I do not use it in cooking/baking. Besides, regular sugar is only 10 calories per tablespoon. I rather have real sugar and swallow those calories than have zero calories that is artificial that has been linked to diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Plus studies are showing, the artificial stuff can make you gain weight, we use it like a crutch, that is why.That is who I am I rather have natural, organic food items than artificial. Ok, I will get off the soap box now.
Back to cooking, in general, I love shrimp, it is the one thing I would eat as my last meal probably. I admit I am more of a seafood lover than meat. Do not get me wrong, I love a steak like the next person. I always had a preference for shrimp, especially in the summer time. I love grilling it up. Lemon is also one my loves. Lemon and shrimp just go so nice with each other. So with all that in mind, and I am trying in vein to keep losing weight, even though I can not exercise and on bed rest with the cast. Let’s create a Mediterranean inspired dish, it uses all that I love and it is healthy for you. The results came out, wow! Words can not express the flavor this dish has!
A healthy dish with lemon, shrimp, and spinach
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 small onion chopped
- 5 mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- feta cheese
- Make a lemon mixture, so in a small bowl, put the lemon zest, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Next you want to whisk in the olive oil and lemon juice. Usually 1/4 cup of juice is what you get out a whole lemon if you squeeze it. I prefer using fresh lemon, You zest it first then cut and squeeze it, it makes for a better taste than bottle I think.
- After the lemon mixture is all done just set it aside. It is time to start cooking. Heat up the olive oil and butter in a pan. Add the mushrooms and onions to the oil when it is ready, and start to saute them. Saute them for about 3 minutes or so, just till you see the onions are starting to get a little translucent.
- Next throw in the shrimp. Continue cooking, stirring constantly for about 2-3 minutes. You see the shrimp will start turning white as you are cooking them.
- Next toss in the spinach. I think fresh baby spinach would be better, but all I have is frozen chopped spinach. I let that defrost and squeezed out the excess water, than tossed it in. How much depends on your taste level. I did till looked right with color. With fresh spinach cook till the spinach starts to wilt. With the frozen spinach, cook it for a minute or two.
- Now it is time to pour in that lemon mixture. Let it cook in it for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Finally you want to add in the feta, I sprinkle on about 1-2 tablespoons worth. You do not want to put a whole lot of it in. Just enough to be a taste's worth.
- After you add the feta, give it one last quick stir and take off the heat and serve it up. You can garnish it with a little more feta if you like. Than ENJOY!