Hawaiian Steak and Fried Rice
This last week has been a weird week for me. It had ups and downs to it. One of my downs has to do with how people are here in Cleveland. I have had more people skip out on a little get together that they set up and it drives me crazy. What I mean is someone texts you or calls you and says, “Hey do you want to meet Sunday for lunch?” You agree, they tell you they will confirm the time and place later. You text maybe 24 hours prior to the day you said you meet them on to confirm. They are silent. Day comes for this lunch and you get no response.
Why they do this here, I do not know but it is frustrating. They invited you, not the other way. I know things come up but at least say something. I know I am not the only ones gets frustrated by this, anyone I met who is not originally from Cleveland, say the same thing as me. We can not figure why they do this here. One the things get me upset is I have actually rearranged my schedule to have a dinner or lunch with someone, and they do this. It is like people here do not understand that their actions have consequences. Maybe that is why their sports teams here never do well?
Another reason been a weird week, on the day my boyfriend broke up with me, yes it was long distance, that is why I didn’t see this coming, I got a weird Facebook message. It was a man I dated, in fact he was the first boyfriend and also the man who, well I first had an intimate relationship with. I have not heard or seen him in well over 15 years, I want to say. It been a VERY long time. He would be the one I would say was the one that got away.We got caught up, he living in Dubai, he is a doctor there. I ended up pouring my heart out to him. I didn’t mean too, but it happened. Then he said, everything happens for a reason darling, me contacting you the same day your heart got broken, there was a reason.
He is right, everything happens for a reason, I truly believe this. I also believe in signs and there are signs everywhere, we just need to pay attention. One door may shut, but another opened for me in re finding a good friend. I know I would never date him again, but having his friendship after all these years, that is nice.
|Hair and makeup|
Last I had to go to a ball. The black and white ball. It is a fundraiser and I am on the committee for it, it was for the American Heart Association. Trust me after this week of heartache, the last thing you want to do is put on a pretty dress, get dolled up and go to a ball and be Cinderella. But I did, a friend helped me with my hair and makeup. I know not the best photos. Hey, I didn’t take them!
Now it is the holiday weekend. I decided to stay in Cleveland, well part the reason too I was supposed to meet a friend for lunch on Sunday, but after having the weird week. I decided I need time for Ms. Dee, here. So I did house cleaning, I spent time with my kitties since the 2 weekends bore that I was out of town. And I felt like experimenting. I admit I used to, back when they were popular, watch Jon and Kate+ 8. He, Jon made in an episode Hawaiian Fried Rice. I admit I love pineapple and had 5 containers of pineapple in my fridge. I haven’t had much of an appetite, so I was on a pineapple diet. Hey dealing with a broken heart. I decided pineapple was healthier than ice cream.
Anyway, Let’s play around with a Hawaiian fried rice. The store had this shaved, what they called Philly steak meat. It was thinly sliced New York Strips, and they were only $2.00. It is for sandwiches. I saw a marinade recipe from a Hawaiian Hotel restaurant but was for 40 people. So I decided, I am not going anywhere for the holiday, let’s pretend I am in Hawaii and have a feast. So I scaled this marinade down and went to work in creating this dish.
A Hawaiian inspired recipe from Seduction in the Kitchen
- 1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon of crushed bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 6 oz of skillet steak
- 1 box of Rice-a Roni fried rice or Oriental Rice
- 4 mushrooms sliced
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup of pineaple tidbits
- 1/4 cup peas
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cups of water.
- Pineapple for garnish
- In a blender, puree the pineapple and kiwi with the lime juice, honey, Worcestershire, soy sauce, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, and black pepper. Once you pureed it, give a little taste see if you need to adjust it by adding more honey to it or spices. Once it is blended to a good taste, pour the marinade into a ziploc bag, along with the meat. Let the meat marinate for about 30-45 minutes in the bag.
- While the steaks are marinating, Slice and chop up the mushrooms and green onions. I sliced the pineapple chunks I had into tidbits as well.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a pan over medium high heat. Add just the rice part of the rice a roni to the skillet, and fry it for about a minute or two. Just to get the rice to start cooking.
- Now add the mushrooms, onions, and pineapple to the rice. Stirring constantly, fry everything until the rice turns to a nice golden color.
- Turn the heat to medium and add the water, the seasoning packet from the rice a roni and the peas. Cover and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir at least once while it is simmering, so you know the rice isn’t sticking to the fry pan.
- When the rice is done, pour it into a bowl and wipe the pan out with a paper towel. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Then take the meat out the marinade and add to the pan. saute the steaks in the butter until they are done, about 3-4 minutes.
- Place the fried rice on a plate, then lay the steak on the top of it. Garnish with some fresh pineapple. I also garnished with the green onions, then Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 313kcal Calories from fat 168|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 19g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||50%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|