You can have a donut that is gluten free, by using potato flour! A recipe from Seduction in the Kitchen.
- 2 ounce packages yeast (1/4)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 5 cups potato flour
- canola oil
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 -6 tablespoons hot water
- First thing I do with any yeast dough product, I put in my bread maker on dough cycle. My dream is to have a Kitchen Aide Stand mixer, I know it can do all this stuff, but unless I get one donated to me, or find one at a rummage sale very cheap. It just has to stay on my Amazon Wish List right now. Place all the ingredients for the donuts in the bread maker and put on the dough cycle.
- After the cycle is done, place the dough onto a floured surface and roll the dough out. I roll it out to be about 1/2 inch thick.
- They do sell donut cutters, which cuts out the donut with the hole. I do not have one, so I am doing this the old school way. I used a biscuit cutter, or you can use any circle cookie cutter even a glass rim dipped in flour will work to cut out the circles.
- To create the holes, I simply poke a clean finger through the middle of the circles I have cut out. After you done that, let the donuts raise for about 30 minutes. A great trick I discovered in letting a yeast product like these or bread rise nicely is to place the sheet on top the dishwasher and run it. The steam and heat from the washer makes a great environment for the items to rise. Truth be told, I let them stay on top the dishwasher till the dishwasher is done.
- Once they have risen, it is time to heat up some oil for frying the donuts.
- Work in small batches, like 2-3 donuts at a time. You will notice when put in the oil to fry they sink, but the come up to the surface. As the come up to the surface it time to flip them. The best way to flip a donut is with chop sticks or wood skewers. Place one on top and one on the bottom the donut and flip them. You want to fry the donuts for about a minute on each side.
- Then let the donuts drain on paper towels as you prepare the glaze for the donuts.
- Mix everything for the glaze, add the water till you have to the consistency you like. Then dip the donut into the glaze and cover it.
- Place the donuts on a baker’s rack to let the glaze harden and then enjoy them.
- Calories: 320