Classic Italian Sausage, Peppers, and Onions Sandwiches is an old world Italian recipe made for the 21st century in the slow cooker.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 red bell peppers cored, seeded and sliced
- 2 green bell peppers cored, seeded and sliced
- 4 hot Italian sausages
- 4 Italian sweet sausage
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed Italian plum tomato with garlic
- 1 1/2 cups Chianti wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 sausage rolls
- 16 slices provolone cheese
- Heat up the oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add the garlic, onion, and peppers to the skillet and cook, stirring as needed, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add sausages, and cook about 4 minutes more until sausages begin to brown.
- In a slow cooker add the tomatoes, Chianti wine, salt, pepper, and oregano. Mix it together.
- Add the sausage and peppers to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for about 6-8 hours.
- Open up a sausage roll, place 2 slices of provolone on the roll.
- Add a sausage and some the peppers to the sandwich.
- Serve up the sandwiches and ENJOY!
- Calories: 719kcal
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 1312mg
- Fat: 45g
- Saturated Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 31g
- Cholesterol: 90mg